![]() |
A walking Tour to the 8 main Temples of Phetchaburi
Temple >>
Wat Kamphaeng Laeng (Wat Kamphaeng Laeng) (Phetchaburi) ![]() This is based on the fact that an image of the Goddess Uma or Parvati was discovered in a tumbled tower in 1956. When it was adapted to become a Buddhist temple, an ordination hall was constructed. However, the original surroundings were slightly changed as evident from the remaining laterite wall. The five prangs in Wat Kamphaeng Laeng were constructed during the Khmer rule from 1157– 1207. Each of the four preserved towers houses a Brahman deity, presumably Indra, Narain, Brahma as well as Uma, whose statue has been found in the destroyed prang. The old complex made of sandstone has been converted into a Buddhist temple. It is located on Phra Song Road, some 2 kms. from the City Hall. Temple >>
Wat Phra Song (Wat Phra Song) (Phetchaburi) ![]() Wat Phra Song is situated in the center of Phetchaburi at Matyawong Road. Wat Phra Song is situated in the center of Phetchaburi at Matyawong Road. Temple >>
Wat Koh Kaeo Sutharam *** (วัดเกาะแก้วสุทธาราม -อี๊ด) (Phetchaburi) Wat Koh Kaeo Sutharam is called Wat Koh for short by the locals. The temple was built at the beginning of the 18th century in the late Ayutthaya Period, under the reign of King Boromakos (1732-1758). Formerly, the temple had water all around it. Therefore the precinct and the temple itself appered to be situated on antiques in the temple. It is famous chiefly for the marvelous paintings on the walls of the bot. The ordination hall building is small and made from masonry built on a curved base. There is no window. The decoration at the upper end of the pillar is in the shape of long lotus petals. The ceiling is of different levels decorated by stars carved from wood with painted black and gold leaves. The murals were made from dust colors with the date written BE 2277 (1734 AD). They are still in complete form. The upper part of the murals depicts a group of scholars dressed like foreigners with their hands holding a flower to their chests. On the southern wall, the murial illustrates important places of Buddha's life. Underneath are pictures of westerners on horseback, Japanese monks and Chinese. The pictures demonstrate the relationships of different cultures in the Ayutthaya Period. It is located on Boriphat Street close to the start of Phanit Charoen Street in the south of the town on the East bank of the Phetchaburi River. If traveling from the Nares bridge, the entrance to the temple is on the left. It is located on Boriphat Street close to the start of Phanit Charoen Street in the south of the town on the East bank of the Phetchaburi River. If traveling from the Nares bridge, the entrance to the temple is on the left. Temple >>
Wat Mahathat (Wat Mahathat) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The main hall is painted with scenes from the Ramayana and is used by many people for praying and offering sacrifice. Almost every morning various groups perform temple dances in front of this building. A large monastery area and a school are adjoined to the temple. Temple >>
Wat Phra Non (Wat Phra Non) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The temple houses a beautiful reclining Buddha image or Phra Phuttha Saiyat in stucco and brick work, lacquered and covered with gold foil. One of the 4 largest reclining Buddha images in Thailand, it is believed to date back to the middle of the Ayutthaya period. The statue presently enshrined in Phra Wihan (formerly laid outdoors) contains inside many Dvaravati and U-thong Buddha images. Temple >>
Wat Sa Bua (Wat Sa Bua) (Phetchaburi) ![]() It is a small symmetrical hall with a curved base. The wall is decorated with pillars. The gable in the east is decorated with stucco in the pattern of Gold Narayana and a giant. The style of the stucco looks like one of the gables in the ordination hall at Wat Yai Suwannaram. The base of the stucco Bai Sema has stones (carved boundary stones) on 4 sides and depicts demons and human beings of 12 nations carrying the Bai Sema. Above the base the second level lines with Garuda and the third level is the ancient Krachang pattern. The fourth level is lotus pattern and on the top stands the big and graceful double Bai Sema. It is located on the eastern slope of Khao Wang hill on Khiri Rathaya Street next to Wat Phranon.
Temple >>
Wat Phlapphla Chai (Wat Phlapphla Chai) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The door facade of the ordination hall is decorated with stucco done by graceful and distinctive forms of the stucco patterns illustrate different episodes of the Ramayana epic. The panels of the middle window are in the pattern of angels holding double-edged daggers. On the other windows, the carvings are of the lotus patterns. Visitors can also see the Nang Yai Museum shadow plays where nearly 40 pieces are displayed near ubosot. They are all that is left from more than 300 pieces made by Luang Pho Rit, a former abbot, about 100 years ago. The beautiful made puppets are characters in the Ramayana epic. It is located on Damnoen Kasem Road, next to Wat Mahathat and near the Phetchaburi river.
|
New to t-Globe?
Register for free to get the full power of this web site!
Registered members will be able to: |

|