![]() |
Famous Attractions in Phetchaburi
Destination: Phetchaburi
Temple >>
Wat Mahathat (Wat Mahathat) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The main hall is painted with scenes from the Ramayana and is used by many people for praying and offering sacrifice. Almost every morning various groups perform temple dances in front of this building. A large monastery area and a school are adjoined to the temple.Â
Temple >>
Wat Yai Suwannaram (Wat Yai Suwannaram) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The legendary axe mark and the magnificent front door panels are the most beautiful and perfectly carved gilt work in this temple. It is believed that Burmese soldiers left an axe mark on the door panel. The Holy Sermon Hall was built in a classical style. There are some valuable religious artifacts and murals remaining on the wooden walls. The extraordinary three-pole library is built on three poles in a pond. It is used for keeping religious scripts out of the reach of insects. Wat Yai is located on Phong Suriya Road, about 1 km. from the City Hall.
Temple >>
Wat Kamphaeng Laeng (Wat Kamphaeng Laeng) (Phetchaburi) ![]() This is based on the fact that an image of the Goddess Uma or Parvati was discovered in a tumbled tower in 1956. When it was adapted to become a Buddhist temple, an ordination hall was constructed. However, the original surroundings were slightly changed as evident from the remaining laterite wall.  The five prangs in Wat Kamphaeng Laeng were constructed during the Khmer rule from 1157– 1207. Each of the four preserved towers houses a Brahman deity, presumably Indra, Narain, Brahma as well as Uma, whose statue has been found in the destroyed prang. The old complex made of sandstone has been converted into a Buddhist temple. It is located on Phra Song Road, some 2 kms. from the City Hall.
Temple >>
Wat Phra Song (Wat Phra Song) (Phetchaburi) ![]() Wat Phra Song is situated in the center of Phetchaburi at Matyawong Road. Wat Phra Song is situated in the center of Phetchaburi at Matyawong Road.
Temple >>
Wat Phra Non (Wat Phra Non) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The temple houses a beautiful reclining Buddha image or Phra Phuttha Saiyat in stucco and brick work, lacquered and covered with gold foil. One of the 4 largest reclining Buddha images in Thailand, it is believed to date back to the middle of the Ayutthaya period. The statue presently enshrined in Phra Wihan (formerly laid outdoors) contains inside many Dvaravati and U-thong Buddha images.
Temple >>
Wat Sa Bua (Wat Sa Bua) (Phetchaburi) ![]() It is a small symmetrical hall with a curved base. The wall is decorated with pillars. The gable in the east is decorated with stucco in the pattern of Gold Narayana and a giant. The style of the stucco looks like one of the gables in the ordination hall at Wat Yai Suwannaram. The base of the stucco Bai Sema has stones (carved boundary stones) on 4 sides and depicts demons and human beings of 12 nations carrying the Bai Sema. Above the base the second level lines with Garuda and the third level is the ancient Krachang pattern. The fourth level is lotus pattern and on the top stands the big and graceful double Bai Sema. It is located on the eastern slope of Khao Wang hill on Khiri Rathaya Street next to Wat Phranon.
Temple >>
Wat Phlapphla Chai (Wat Phlapphla Chai) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The door facade of the ordination hall is decorated with stucco done by graceful and distinctive forms of the stucco patterns illustrate different episodes of the Ramayana epic. The panels of the middle window are in the pattern of angels holding double-edged daggers. On the other windows, the carvings are of the lotus patterns. Visitors can also see the Nang Yai Museum shadow plays where nearly 40 pieces are displayed near ubosot. They are all that is left from more than 300 pieces made by Luang Pho Rit, a former abbot, about 100 years ago. The beautiful made puppets are characters in the Ramayana epic. It is located on Damnoen Kasem Road, next to Wat Mahathat and near the Phetchaburi river.
Museum >>
Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet Palace (Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet Palace) (Phetchaburi) ![]() The magnificent Baroque-style Palace of King Chulalongkorn, Rama V, is known as Ban Puen Palace. King Rama V had it constructed for his retreat in rainy seasons. The palace has adopted the modern European architecture designed by the German architect Karl Dohring with his countryman, Dr. Bayer, as the engineer. The palace was named Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet in 1918 to serve as a reception hall for state visitors. Later, King Rama VII turned it into the location of the Boy Scouts Commanding School, Agricultural Teachers Training School, and Sub district Elementary School. Phra Ram Ratcha Niwet is located in the south of Phetchaburi city.
Cave
|
New to t-Globe?
Register for free to get the full power of this web site!
Registered members will be able to: |

|